How does light reach our houses? Fun facts about home lighting
- Scientist Nicola Tesla is the inventor of alternating current (AC). Today it is the current used in most of the planet.
The evolution of lighting.
- In 1882, electric bulbs were used for the first time to light a Christmas tree.
- The incandescent filament bulb has a completely inefficient performance, because it only transforms 10% of the electrical energy into light.
- LED (light-emitting diode) technology is more durable and efficient from an energy and ecological point of view than the incandescent bulb.
- In 2005, the first incandescent lights were replaced by modern and efficient lighting (LED and fluorescent lighting) in Brazil and Venezuela. This example was followed by the European Union, the United States and other countries in the world.
- The electric light bulb has been the most used invention in the 20th century, according to an investigation by LIFE magazine.
- Thomas Alva Edison was the first scientist to patent the light bulb, but it was Joseph Wilson Swan who invented it.